Feb 13, 2014

me and my wheat grinder

I have always had a desire for my family to become more healthy and to be self-sufficient. I want to grow our own fruits and veggies, obtain/grind/prepare our own meats, build our food storage supply, and make my own bread and other flour items from my wheat storage. But as a young family with a husband going to school, it's hard! I always thought it would cost so much money and take so much time, and let's be honest...growing my own garden isn't happening at this point in my life. BUT what I didn't realize is that I can start doing small things right now that will get me going in the right direction.

So last week I bought a manual wheat grinder off of Amazon (oh how I love my Amazon Prime...I seriously get everything from there).

mmm...look at those yummy wheat berries

I can't afford the luxury of an automatic grinder, but I decided that a manual one is perfect for me right now, plus if the electricity ever goes out I can still use it! The other night I finally had enough time to experiment with it and I knew the first thing I wanted to make was cracked wheat. I grew up eating that cereal and I'm a little obsessed with it. And oh my goodness, it tasted delicious! And I couldn't believe how easy it was to make. The best part? Watching Ashton eat it for breakfast the next morning and knowing that he was eating something I made for him that was all natural, 100% good for him.

it only took about 5-10 minutes to grind this...easy!

the finished product....you HAVE to add in coconut milk and agave (my faves)!

Next up is homemade bread (I'm a homemade bread addict...it's serious). Yay for being a little healthier!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS